Published At: Feb. 25, 2011 at 03:00 pm - (9316 Reads)
So... I recently converted my Tiki Essentials paperback into an E-book. The process was fairly smooth, all things considered.
Here's a bit of what I learned...
A PDF might be an electronic format book, but it is no eBookMany books offer a "digital download" of their content... in PDF format. While this may meet the definition of an electronic book (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E-book) it falls short of the "eBook experience" that I was after.
In my mind, an eBook should be able to:
- automatically reflow the text, as needed (for example, when rotating the device)
- provide customization options to the reader (for example, font and size)
The ePub format is universal. Sort of.The ePub format is the official standard of the International Digital Publishing Forum and is supported by quite a few Ebook Readers, including:
- Apple iPad/iPhone/iPod
- Bookeen Cybook Opus
- Sony Readers
- B&N Nook
- and many more.
There is no magic bulletSo, all I needed to do was convert my book (created in FrameMaker) into ePub. Luckly, the latest version of FM has built-in support for ePub. Unfortunately, I'm using a much older version.
There are also multiple tools that will "automagically" convert PDF, HTML, or DOC files into ePub. However, I've found that the quality of these automatic tools varies greatly. And there are number of things that they don't do well.
In the end, I used a number of different tools:
- Validator from Three Press http://threepress.org/document/epub-validate
Final resultI've successfully published the Ebook version to LuLu.com (for ePub version) and Amazon.com (for Kindle version).
For details, see http://tikiforsmarties.com/Books
- Accenture Buys OCTO Technology to Boost Digital Transformation Services
- Should IT Take a Cue From Ray Kroc?
- 5 Strategies to Achieve Better Brand Recognition
- Think Digital Renovation, Not Digital Transformation
- Baby You Can Drive My Car: The Business Benefits of Autonomous Driving
- How Your Company Culture Supports Your Digital Workplace