Published At: May 09, 2012 at 06:45 pm - (2203 Reads)
Are you looking forward to STC Summit 2012? Me too. I've be using the STC Summit Zerista application to check out the sessions, events, and make my plans. Zerista is a pretty slick application for conference management. If you're attending the summit I highly recommend checking it out.
One thing I really liked is the ability to go through the entire conference schedule, pick and choose the events that interest me, and create my own personal schedule. One thing I didn't like was there seemed to be no way get get that schedule into my personal calendar. I have an Android-powered phone and use Google Calendars.
Sure, there's a Zerista app that I could use. But I'm really wanted a way to have my Summit schedule appear on my phone, just like all my other calendars.
A special "thank you" shout-out to Paul Mueller, Lloyd Tucker, Kevin Cuddihy, (and anyone else I may have inadvertantly overlooked) for helping me get up-to-speed with the STC Summit Zerista application.
And be able to make changes in Zerista and automatically update my Google calendar.
And be able to make notes about sessions (or even remove sessions) from my phone.
Sure, I could manually export my Zerista schedule to iCal or Outlook format (or even print it) and them manually import the schedule to my phone. But each time I made a change in Zerista (or if a session moved to a different location or was canceled), I'd have to manually repeat the process.
I'm lazy. I wanted to sync everything together.... magically.
And now I can (and so can you). Here's how:
- Create your personal schedule in Zerista.
- On the MyPage > Schedule page, in the Schedule area, right-click Export to iCal.
- In the pop-up window, click Copy Link Location.
This is the URL for your personal calendar's iCal (.ics) file.
Now switch to your Google calendar.
- In the Other Calendars area, click the More Options button and select Add by URL.
- In the Add by URL dialog, in the URL field, paste the Zerista iCal URL (that you copied previously) and click Add Calendar.
- A new calendar (stcsummit) should appear in your Other calendars area. Click the More options button to customize the calendar.
Finally, add the calendar to your Android-powered phone. Depending on your phone model, OS version, and cellphone carrier, the actual steps will vary. But in general:
Sorry, no screenshots until Gingerbread.
- From the Calendar app, select Settings.
- In the Settings area, select which calendars to Display and Sync. All of the calendards associated with your Google account (including the new stcsummit calendar) should be listed.
- Simply select the stcsummit calendar, perform an update, and... like magic, your Zerista calendar now appears on your Android phone!
I hope you find this useful, and I look forward to seeing you in Chicago.
- A panel of makers spill the tips and tricks of the hardware trade
- The connected washing machine is still a novelty, but Whirlpool is making plans for the connected home
- Will it take a catastrophe before we lock down the internet of things?
- AT&T connects half a million cars to its LTE network in Q3
- People will build their connected home bit by bit, but tools like SmartThings can speed adoption
- Has Google Just Reinvented Gmail?